For as long as I can remember I've had my hands deep into the arts, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Photography specifically has always been a hobby of mine, but planning my own wedding was what gave me the nudge to dive into it full time. During that planning period, I completely fell in love with the wedding industry because of all the unique and beautiful love stories that get to be witnessed, expressed, and shared! I'm a total sucker for all the mush, romance, and heart melting moments buried inside each and every couple's story, and getting to be the one to document their biggest day ever makes me feel so lucky!
My favorite thing is capturing those hidden, fleeting moments when your truest self is expressed. The kind of moment when your guard comes down, you don't have a care in the world, and you can just be yourselves together in in the moment. Getting to capture that unforced emotion...however wild, weird, and wonderful it looks is why I love what I do so much.
- I'm a big time beach and mountains lover so getting to live in CA where both are within driving distance is a dream!
- I'm 100% one of those chocoholic, puppy obsessed, cry whenever I see something pretty kind of girls.
- My hubs is a commercial filmmaker so our lives are pretty topsy turvy but we love it that way!
- I love to journal and I collect sentimental keepsakes from years past (you should see my closet!)
- Other hobbies I adore when I'm not working are hiking/exploring outdoors, painting, drawing, and yoga!
I cried when I got my first camera for Christmas when I was in high school. I didn’t know how to use it but I put it on auto and just shot away! When I got to college, I realized that taking photos was the only real interest I had and fell into the Photojournalism major. I carried my camera on my shoulder every single day of college - no exaggeration. I just couldn’t stop documenting.
Looking back, I realize my obsession with taking photos stemmed from my obsession with looking at them. I’m reeeeeeally big on reminiscing and capturing moments in time to look back on, especially ones from those big life-changing days; those are simply priceless to me!
- I’ve lived in southern California my whole life and honestly, I never want to leave. The weather here is just wayyyy too nice (and my hair can’t handle any real humidity).
- I have a twin brother. No, we don’t have that twin telepathy everyone talks about, we’re actually such polar opposites it’s quite hilarious.
- If I’m not shooting a wedding, my Saturdays are usually spent sleeping in (unless Manchester United is playing), eating cinnamon rolls, and watching Jimmy Fallon videos on Youtube. Oh and cleaning too, I truly like to clean #tidyingup.
- If there is mac and cheese on a menu somewhere I have to order it, no questions asked.
- My husband and I just recently adopted a kitten and I already have hundreds photos of her it’s ridiculous. She’s actually sleeping on my lap as I write this #sooocute
Art / design is something I have loved for as long as I can remember. Mid-way through working on my BA in Art History, Alex and I got the chance to visit Paris and being immersed in a culture that holds art so close to their heart was amazing. Oh yeah, and they like to drink wine with lunch which isn’t too bad!
Photography has been a deeply satisfying way to tell my client’s stories and express the love I have of art and design through the lens. I love weddings so much, and I totally connect with the emotional side of the day. It’s hard to express how I feel about weddings without sounding cliché, but I can’t remember the last wedding I shot and didn’t tear up. I love that I can capture these moments for my clients to remember in the years to come….and possibly even share them with their kids and grandkids decades from now. I’m sentimental that way.
- I love reading Fantasy! My favorites … Game of Thrones (is it wrong that I’m a Lannister fan?!), Amber Chronicles, Arthurian Saga (Merlin fangirl), Wheel of Time.
- My happy place is in my vegetable garden, it’s how my introverted side recharges. Obsessed with the square foot gardening technique, it’s an amazing way to grow food.
- My favorite music is French accordion, bluegrass, funk and big band...eclectic much?
- Our adorable son is everything! Everyday I wake up and I’m as excited to see him as the day he was born. Our family is small, sweet, and so full of love.
- I’m also a dog mom to our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy -Corwin. And our sweet Golden Retriever, Merlin. They are both lap dogs, one is 10lbs and the other is 75lbs! Haha
Photography has been a love of mine for a long time. I’ve always looked for creative outlets, but also really fascinated by technical stuff and photography has been such a great way to put those two passions together. I have a BS in Photography and have been shooting weddings since 2012. I love the unique creative and technical challenges that come from shooting weddings and show up enthusiastic and ready to go for each and every wedding or engagement session. We limit the number of weddings we take on so we have the energy to bring our A game to every single one.
- I almost went to culinary school and cooking makes me happy. I love cooking all sorts of stuff but right now I'm on a serious Bon Appétit kick.
- I love reading science fiction and fantasy; I’m in the middle of re-reading the 14 book series The Wheel of Time, and it is awesome.
- Our 5 year old son is the best and brings so much joy to Jana and I. The other day he asked why puppies are so cute, and wanted to know whether or not dragons swim. Asking the tough questions…
- Star Trek: The Next Generation is the best.
- Edward Weston is one of my favorite photographers, and his work proves that it’s always possible to be creative and unique even when the subject matter is a totally ordinary everyday object you've seen a thousand times.
- I spend way too much time on reddit.
- If you think about it, Grandpa Joe from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a real asshole.
We always want our images to reflect the personality of our clients. We love catching a laugh just at the right moment or the split-second smile after a joke. You can’t fake or stage those moments, and we love making our shoots relaxed, comfortable, and fun so our clients feel totally at ease letting us share these moments with them.
Posing is important, and we give our clients plenty of direction so they feel confident that what they’re doing in front of the camera looks great. At the same time it’s easy to overdo it, and overly posed photos come off stiff and emotionless. We’re all about giving just enough direction so clients feel great but not so much that they feel like mannequins. There will be laughing, kissing, and hugging...it’s gonna be great!
Hello and thank you so much for getting to know us at Alex & Jana Photography! We are a wedding photography team serving all of Southern California.
We all have our own personalities but each photographer on our team has a bunch in common:
- We love those wonderfully natural, candid moments.
- We've all been shooting for years and photography is our sole source of income...no noobs here!
- We love to have fun! Connecting with our clients is important to each and every one of us and we're all here to make sure you have an awesome time and come away with incredible images.
- We're all nerds. But like...the cool kind lol.
You spend lots of time with your photographer on your wedding day, so choosing someone with the right personality is exceptionally important! With that in mind, we wanted to give you a little more info about our team and and how we all work.